ENDORSEMENTS BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT PEOPLE IN
- April 16, 1998
- NOTE: Identities protected with "", except for
- -----------msg from a Montana State
- >Rick, I am the grandmother of new twins a year old now.
They live in San
- >Diego and both my son and his wife (their parents!) do as
much of their
- >work as they can from computers in their home. Because of
that, the twins
- >don't require a babysitter and got to spend their first
year (and upcoming
- >years too) with one or the other parent, or both.
Telecommuting could make
- >a big difference in the well being of the nation's
children! Rep. Joan
- >Hurdle, Billings, Montana
- ---------------msg from a govt. worker in
- >Thank you for your wonderful message regarding
telecommuting. I have always
- >wanted to work from home! I have 4 children, and feel the
daily stress of
- >dropping each child at school, and then the younger
children at daycare,
- >eventually arriving to work already exhausted. I have
been extremely ill
- >for the past two weeks, but have had to come to work due
to the fact that my
- >children have already used up all of my sick time.
Therefore I am spreading
- >germs to all of my co-workers. To me this is ridiculous!
Not to mention
- >that my 2 younger children bring home all kinds of germs
on a daily basis
- >from their daycare center which takes care of 120
children. Illness seems
- >to be a never ending battle in our home. My job could
easily be transferred
- >home, but my supervisor wants to have us hear every minute
so she can see
- >exactly what we're doing. Subsequently, I feel overly
exhausted at all
- >times. Please give me some suggestions.
- ---------------msg from an Alabama State Exec.
- >Dear Mr. Johnson:
- > I received your most interesting information back in
January & February
- >but have been out with health problems and have been
remiss in responding.
- >I will also confess that a hard drive crash wiped out the
article and I
- >would appreciate your resending it.
- > My office deals strictly with highway and traffic safety
issues but I
- >would like to reprint the information in our newsletter
and make more
- >people aware of the issue. You raised some very salient
points in your
- >broadcast e-mail and I would like the public to have the
- >you know, the best government is from the people up and
with an informed
- >public, government leaders will respond to these
- > I look foward to hearing more from you.
- ---------------msg from Alaska Lieutenant
- > Thank you for the information. There is much truth to
- > you say. The benefits to individuals, their families
- > organizations they serve are considerable. We need
- > flexible policies to adapt to new ways of doing
- > with the technologies available today.
- > Fran
- -----------msg from a California State Dep.
- >Mr. Johnson:  I share your interest in the
- >multi-faceted benefits of telecommuting and in fact was
able to do it myself
- >for about 5 years. Please email me you telephone number.
I would like to
- >discuss this with you and learn more about your
- ---------------msgs from a Vermont State
- >I am supportive. What specific steps can be taken. State
- ---------------msg from a California State
- >Rick, nice work. The California Energy Commission (CEC)
has been a long-time
- >"informal" user of the telecommute option. I look forward
to the day when it
- >establishes a formal policy. CEC has also supported the
effort in its energy
- >conservation and contingency planning documents,
- -------------msg from a California city council member
- >Mr. Johnson,
- >Thank you for your email on telecommuting. I am
interested in the issue and
- >actually work from home most of the time, myself. In
1994, before I was
- >elected, I worked with the Antioch Chamber of Commerce and
the city staff to
- >make it easier to open a home-based business. What used
to take 4-8 weeks now
- >just takes one day. As a result numerous home-based
businesses have sprouted
- >in our town.
- >With the advent of technology, telecommuting is a great
way to work, reduce
- >traffic congestion, and allow workers to spend more time
with their family and
- >friends. I have made it a part of my policy on
transportation, as a member of
- >four transportation bodies, including the Contra Costa
- >I would be interested in receiving additional information
- >organization. Thank you.
- >Allen D. Payton
- >Antioch City Council
- --------msg from a California State employee------->
- >Mr. Johnson:
- >Thank you for the insightful and uplifting copy of the
letter [snip]. The
- >telecommuting movement needs a lot of help as there is
certainly "more talk
- >than action". I am one of the lucky few at [snip]
- >(I'm the only one in my office...
- ---------------msg from a Tennessee State govt.
- >Thank you for the information you sent to Governor
- >concerning the benefits of telecommuting. A number of
- >the executive branch of Tennessee state government are
- >utilize telecommuting for employees. We will pass along
- >information as encouragement for these efforts.
- ---------------msg from a Washington State
- >Thank you for sending me a copy of your letter to Governor
- >telecommuting. The 26th District which I represent has
the thorny issue
- >of congested Highway 16 and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge as a
- >challenge. In trying to figure out how to manage the
demand for the
- >corridor I know that telecommuting should play a role. Do
you know of
- >any way to determine how many people already are
telecommuting and what
- >specific encouragement businesses might already be giving
- >employees to telecommute? I know there are many newcomers
- >community who have come from across the country who are
- >of the new technologies but it is difficult to assess how
many and what
- >impact the trend might have on traffic in the future. I
look forward to
- >hearing f ROM you. [snip] Pat Lantz
- ---------------msg from a California
- >Thank you for your E-Mail regarding telecommuting.
- >Assemblyman Bob Margett
- ---------------msg from a California city
- >I am in receipt of your Email.Thanks you for forwarding a
- >I am
- >in agreement with your letter and feel that telecommuting
is very good for
- >zcommunity here in Hercules,Ca
- >Thank you
- >Ken S. Hobbs
- >City Manger
- ---------------msg from a Kentucky county govt.
- >I am also a safety person and would like to start a
- >telecommuting. We at  are just starting to
travel down that road
- >and need any guidance that can be obtained.
- ---------------msg from a Colorado State Div.
- >Rick, thanks for copy of letter to Governor. I have
several employee who
- >are telecommuting. What I need to know is the status of
technology to allow
- >me to SEE and talk to them at the same time. Where does
this stand? Who has
- >the best technology? What equipment does it require at
each end? Are there
- >web sites which provide such information? thanks.
- ---------------msg from a Washington State
- >Thank you for the informed research on the issue of
- >Rep. Dawn"]
- -----msg from a California county Chief Information
- >Dear Rick:
- >Good afternoon. My name is , and I am the
- >Information Officer for . th largest
in California, we
- >have had a successful telecommuting program in place since
about  in our
- >various departments. My own Team (),
- >makes extensive use of telecommuting. Our employees enjoy
the ability to
- >work from home, it cuts down on the number of highway
trips here in the
- >nice, rarely used Bay Area freeways, and allows us to be
more flexible in
- >the use of our human and machine resources...
Telecommuting was REAL
- >effective last week, in the wake of all the water damage
to our freeways,
- >and the ensuing craziness.
- >Telecommuting will always be an option at .
- -----msg from a South Carolina State Dept. of Commerce
- >Dear Rick,
- >I got a copy of your e-mail to Governor Beasley. Thanks.
- >of telecommuting that has not been fully appreciated is
- >for getting high quality jobs to rural areas such as Burns
- >is a great quality of life, but a limited population base
- >a broad-based economy.
- ----------msg from a State employee------->
- >hi, FYI I work at the  Dept of Env Quality and
- >telecommuting for 16 months. I can vouch for the increase
- >and improved health!
- ------msg from an Arizona State Manager------->
- >Thank you for your very thoughtful e-mail. Governor Hull
- >the expansion of telecommuting within State government,
with a goal of
- >having 15% of our workforce telecommuting by the end of
- >has been involved in promoting telecommuting since first
participating in a
- >pilot program a number of years ago.
- ------msg from a Colorado State
- >Rick, I agree. St. Rep. Penfield Tate III
- ----msg from an Idaho National Engineering Lab
- >Thank you for this note. I agree strongly with the
- --------msg from a Los Alamos National Lab
- >I would like to offer assistance in the form of research
on telecommuting &
- >safety issues if this is still required. In my work as a
- >specialist, I conduct business literature searches,
database searches, and
- >of course, the Internet. Please let me know if this would
be of interest.
- ------msg from another Los Alamos National Lab
- >Hi Rick, although I am not able to support you with
research, etc., you
- >certainly have my personal support (if that is worth
- >keep up the fight and dedication. I know it is not easy,
and I admire you
- >for all your efforts.
- ------------msg from a Wyoming State employee (Dept. of
- >Here, here! Thanks for the info -- I agree.
- -------msg from a Viginia State employee (Dept. of
- >Great idea. Keep pushing it.
- ------------msg from a State employee-------->
- >It would be GREAT if state employees could telecommute!
At least those
- >who have a computer at home (such as myself). I don't
expect the state
- >to furnish all employees with a computer. They would NEED
to make ALL
- >STATE AGENCIES offer the option to the employees,
- >agencies (including the one I work for) will NOT offer
- ------------msg from a Washington State
- >I believe your campaign is a good one and only furthers
the work many of
- >us across the country are doing in the area of telework.
- >suggestion I can make is to continue responding as you
have, in a
- >positive voice to any opposition or negative responses you
- >The responses from the Washington delegate to your message
- >and should be a reminder to you that your message is
important. Keep at
- --------msg from an Oregon State SAIF
- >Thank you for including me when you routed this
information. I am
- >interested in the possibility of telecommuting becoming
- -end ENDORSEMENTS BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT PEOPLE IN USA-